1935-1946
Frank Morgan was elected to succeed Day, and he remained until 1946.

In spite of the disastrous depression and the effects of World War II, Morgan was able to introduce a number of changes that seem innovative for that time. Due to hard economic times, school enrollment had dropped and as an economic measure both North and West Wards were closed. However, a new building to replace the red brick on Church Street was constructed in 1936, financed by Works Progress Administration funds. This one building could accommodate all of the elementary grades in the district because the demonstration school at ETSTC had absorbed about 200 of the scholastics.

In addition to a new building, the school now provided school bus routes. A frame bus garage with a band hall above was constructed behind the high school, and the first band was organized in 1939. A 12th grade was added in 1941. Again with the help of WPA funds, a gymnasium was built in 1942. In addition to the band, the curriculum now included industrial arts, vocational agriculture, vocational home economics, and health and physical education. In the lower grades, social studies, language arts, public school music and art were added, and a 33-piece elementary band was organized.

Morgan resigned to become Registrar at West Texas State Teachers College, and he was replaced by R. E. Slayton , who was in Commerce three years.

Our Mission

In partnership with families and community, CISD will provide all students an exemplary education, preparing them to be successful, productive citizens. 

Copyright © 2016 Commerce Independent School District

powered by ezTaskTitanium TM